08 August 2011

The Importance of Elsewhere by Paul Theroux





As a child, yearning to leave home and go far away, the image in my mind was of flight--my little self hurrying off alone. The word "travel" did not occur to me, nor did the word "transformation," which was my unspoken but enduring wish. I wanted to find a new self in a distant place, and new things to care about. The importance of elsewhere was something I took on faith. Elsewhere was the place I wanted to be...

The wish to travel seems to me characteristically human: the desire to move, to satisfy your curiosity or ease your fears, to change the circumstances of your life, to be a stranger, to make a friend, to experience an exotic landscape, to risk the unknown...Chekov said, "If you're afraid of loneliness, don't marry." I would say, if you're afraid of loneliness, don't travel. The literature of travel shows the effects of solitude, sometimes mournful, more often enriching, now and then unexpectedly spiritual.




4 comments:

Unknown said...

tula ba yan.

Inna Nopuente said...

kung feel mo...

but it's really an introduction to one of his books.

hoy!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As a child, yearning to leave
home and go far away, the image
in my mind was of flight--
my little self hurrying off alone.
The word "travel" did not occur to me,
nor did the word "transformation,"
which was my unspoken but enduring wish. I wanted to find a new self
in a distant place, and new things
to care about. The importance
of elsewhere was something I took
on faith. Elsewhere was the place
I wanted to be

yung first paragraph lang pwede, medyo baduy na yung second, haha.

ah! ah!